Quick Facts: Laser Assisted Snore Reduction
- Snoring is caused by the audible vibration of soft structures of the mouth and throat
- An advanced Er:YAG laser can tighten and shrink these structures to decrease the vibrations & airway obstruction
- The technique is nearly painless with no anaesthesia & no special after-care procedures required
- Clinical trials show improvements in snoring and apnea of between 48-52%
- Most patients require 2-4 laser sessions of 30 minutes duration
- All patients at Kiora are first seen by a Cosmetic Doctor of over 16 years experience with Clinical Lasers
- To get the best results Kiora offers packages of 5 sessions starting from $850 per session
- Uncompromising Safety: Ventilation exceeds WHO COVID recommendations for hospitals by 200%. All staff vaccinated
WHAT IS A SNORE REDUCTION LASER?
This is a laser designed to reduce the audible vibrations of the mouth which causes snoring. The laser tightens and shrinks the soft tissues of the mouth to allow for a less restricted and smoother flow of air through the throat and mouth whilst you are sleeping. As the air flows more smoothly snoring can be significantly reduced. It is a low risk, non-invasive and nearly painless 30 minute procedure.
WHAT IS A SNORING?
Snoring is caused by the audible vibrations of the soft tissue structures of the mouth and throat. When a patient is sleeping the muscles of the throat relax allowing the soft tissues of the mouth and throat to collapse. As the structure collapse into the airway they can obstruct the airway and vibrate causing the characteristic snoring sound.
This is a very new laser technique and there are only a few clinical studies demonstrating its efficacy. Some clinical trials show the snoring is reduced by an average of 52%. Apnea can be reduced by an average of 48%. Anecdotal experience at Kiora suggests patients see a significant reduction in snoring as reported by smartphone apps and most importantly by the patient's partner!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
An advanced Er:YAG laser is used to deliver non-ablative energy to tighten and shrink the uvula, soft palate and surrounding tissues of the mouth and throat. The laser delivers energy to the soft tissues to directly shrink them and stimulate collagenesis to tighten and further reduce the structures in size. The technique can make the airway more open with smoother and less noisy night breathing. The snore reduction laser results in both an audible improvement in snoring volume and a visible improvement in the openness of the airway (improved Mallampati score).
Most patients will require between 2-5 sessions to get the best possible result.
The Snore Reduction Laser has an excellent safety profile. It uses a non-ablative laser which delivers deep heating energy to the soft tissues. The technique is almost painless. The technique is very gentle and there is no special care or therapy required after the 30 minute procedure.
WHO IS IT SUITABLE FOR?
All patients with audible snoring can be helped by Kiora's snore reduction laser. The technique can be used in addition to CPAP to help patients with diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea.
WHY SHOULD MY LASER ASSISTED SNORE REDUCTION BE PERFORMED BY A DOCTOR?
Snoring often occurs with the serious medical condition known as obstructive sleep apnea. This can result in a cluster of symptoms such as snoring, tiredness and reduced energy levels. As this condition can have long term health implications it is important this diagnosis be considered when treating a patient for snoring.